Sunday, April 10, 2011

Zap! The Easy Sight Word Game

We are all constantly looking for new games to help students practice skills.  Recently I have been looking for games to motivate my students to practice reading their sight words.  My team teacher gave me this great idea that the students absolutely love, so I have to share it with you!  The game could not be easier to create, explain to students, or to play!  Here is what to do:

Materials:
*popsicle sticks
*small plastic cup
*permanent marker

How to make:
*Write one sight word on each popsicle stick.  (Depending on how many sight words you have, you may wish to write each word on more than one stick)
*Write ZAP! on about 5-6 popsicle sticks.

How to play:
*Students take turns pulling sticks (their words are down in the cup) out.  If they read the word correctly (the other students are helping to check) they get to keep the stick.
*The game continues with each student pulling out a stick and reading the word.
*When a student pulls out a stick that says ZAP!, they must return all of the sticks they have earned to the cup.
*The game continues, and since the game just continues until the next activity, there is no specific winner.

I know that my students are in love with this game, and a I've had a ton of parents telling me that their students are creating this game to play at home too.  I'm sure it could be used to practice vocabulary, numbers, letters.... the possibilities are endless!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment