Sunday, April 10, 2011

Kindergarten - it's not state mandated!

In light of all of the economic issues and budget cuts, academic areas are under fire.  There have been a lot of discussions about what is necessary for students, and what is not.  It has come to many people's attention that kindergarten is not a state mandated grade level.  For the same reason that we cannot hold students accountable for attendance like other grade levels, kindergarten is technically an "unnecessary" element in schools.  I know that one local district is moving from a full-day, to a half-day kindergarten program, while another is discussing cutting kindergarten completely.  I am shocked.  I guess that as a kindergarten teacher I just see how important kindergarten is for students.  Not only are we teaching the most basic of academic skills to help build the foundation for students, but we are also teaching students school routines, expectations, and how to socialize appropriately with others.  I try to image school without kindergarten.  Yes, these concepts would still be taught, students would still adjust to routines and exceptions, but I feel like each grade levels material would have to be simplified.  First grade would be the new kindergarten, second grade the new first grade, and so on.  I know that schools have many amazing programs that are being cut because they are "unnecessary," but I just can't wrap my head around getting rid of kindergarten.  I don't see how that solves any problems for school districts, other than adding new academic issues in the future.  Is this just a quick fix?  What are your feelings?

No comments:

Post a Comment